Monday, May 24, 2010

Mint Condition

Mint condition sparks thoughts of something that is almost perfect. Just a little more than 2 weeks ago this little garden delight was a thriving mint plant, fragrant and in full bloom. While I was not paying attention it was moved into a too sunny place and in less than a day it was dryer than beef jerky.
I was immediately grief stricken as I never even got to enjoy the soothing mint leaves in my midnight tea. An now I never would. My immediate thoughts were " If I had only noticed sooner I could have saved it...". Then it occurred to me that it was possible that the roots were still alive. I moved it into a partially sunny spot and began to water it. I poured and poured until the water was flowing like a tiny stream onto the counter.
After a few days had past, I noticed a tiny little green sprout emerging. My sad heart lightened. Not taking any chances I watered it again. The rational part of my brain that does not mourn over dead plants remined me that too much water would actually create another deadly scenario; killing the roots. Once the roots were gone there would be nothing left to revive.
As in most cases, it was all about balance. Not too much, not too little. Furthermore, balance includes paying attention in the first place. If I had been watching, the plant never would have been left to dry out and I would not have had to spend those few days preoccupied hoping that it would emerge victorious over the sunny ordeal. As it turns out it had been moved with the best of intentions. Sunshine is necessary to grow plants, but without balance it was almost it's demise. Just a friendly reminder: PAY ATTENTION!!!
DMT

No comments:

Post a Comment