Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Waiting...

"Snow Drifts" photo by DM Thompson

After typing a synopsis into my phone keypad, I sat waiting on hold. As I heard the 5th "Your call is very important to us" loop yet again, my mind wandered back to looking out onto a frozen world wondering when it would thaw... Waiting is the worst! Helpless, like a fly in a spiders web we are tormented by the forced messages, suggestions and awful musical selections.
In this case only to get a person on the phone who gives the term "Customer Service" a whole new derogatory meaning. Our relationship took a down hill slide after "May I help you?". He thoroughly enjoyed trying to stump me with my own "security question" answer and thought he had me when I could not remember which level of school I was referring to when I typed my answer for "What were your school colors?" (Ironically, a question I had made us so I would never get it wrong.)I recovered on the next one though, as I aced "What is your father's middle name?"
We then moved on to "How can I help you?". I explained my situation and request in plain English, then paused for a response. Silence. I felt pressure to speak asking "Can you help with this?". Slowly words were returned "You should have selected option number 2, I'll transfer you now. Have a nice day." Instantly I was returned to hold. What to do now? If I hang up, I loose 24 minutes of my life and paradoxically if I hang on I could potentially loose 24 more. I decide to wait ignoring my better judgement, self worth and blood pressure.
This time I was ready!I know the school colors, Dad's full name, my zip code and social security number! Ready to rock, I block out all the hold banter (that I believe is designed to get you to hang up)and FINALLY I hear "Thank you for calling, our department is closed..."
DMT ;- (

No comments:

Post a Comment