Thursday, January 5, 2012

A humble grain of sand...

On the shelf in my office there is a photo collage from when my daughter Beth and I took a trip to Mexico and visited the ancient ruins of Tulum high on a bluff that overlooks the beautiful blue Caribbean Sea and the white sand beach below. I began to recall that the heat was scalding and the place was mesmerizing. I had taken several photos of one building that had an elaborate relief mask that profiled from either side and from the corner angle commanded your complete attention. As a diversion from my tasks my mind wandered back to the hot beach. I was alone, neither my daughter or any of the other tourists who had chartered with us existed any longer.

Unaccompanied as I circled the buildings. I imagined I stopped at the entrance of the Tulum's tallest building, a watchtower the Spaniards called El Castillo, meaning The Castle. I knelt down to touch the hot stone steps and imagined the bare footed inhabitants who built this amazing place with simple tools and bare hands. The Mayan were not tall or brawny. The men were about five feet tall and women were around four feet tall. They walked those steps without any thought of the blistering heat beneath their feet. And then further imagining I strolled towards the sound of the waves and stood dangerously close to the edge of the cliff to get a better view as wind whipped my hair into my mouth.

With no distractions I realized that when I was there I was awestruck looking at the sand. Perfect sand. I remembered then a quote from St. Therese of Lisieux referring to her chance at sainthood "There is the same difference between the saints and me as there is between a mountain whose summit is lost in the clouds and a humble grain of sand trodden underfoot by passers-by. Instead of being discouraged, I told myself: God would not make me wish for something impossible and so, in spite of my littleness, I can aim at being a saint. It is impossible for me to grow bigger, so I put up with myself as I am, with all my countless faults. But I will look for some means of going to heaven by a little way which is very short and very straight, a little way that is quite new."

St. Therese has walked with me since I was a child and I have always been drawn to water. I found many answers to many perplexing questions in my prayers to her and while strolling on the beach listening to the surf. Lately I was feeling small and defeated. Questioning my ability to handle the rebuilding of my life. My parents (who have passed on) came to me last night in a dream and were encouraging me to rebuild my office with sand as my only abundant resource. I needed to see the bigger picture, see the possibilities and gather strength from other "little people" who accomplish great things and made a difference, a great difference. I scanned one of my photos to remind me I can accomplish great things in my work if I just look past the san
d.


Relief Mask Tulum Ruins on the Caribbean Sea photo by DMThompson Copyright 2012 GoldenMark, Ltd. All Rights Reserved
by DMThompson Copyright 2011 GoldenMark, Ltd. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment